
When I was a young girl I truly believed that my Mom and Dad were former Hollywood movie stars. You might have to convince me still today that they really weren't the glamorous stars that were on the big screen. Just look at them! Despite my day dreaming of their former lives I can tell you for sure what they were and what I learned from them.
My Glamorous Mother taught me the importance of reading and learning. I can still hear the words and see the pictures of a book she read to me as a young child, " Clickety Clack, Clickety Clack the train went up the track." She read to us often and when I was old enough, I read to her as she cooked meals or did her household chores. I read books like " Harriet the Spy" which I LOVED and " Little Women" and one of my favorites, " The Family Nobody Wanted" which was the story of a family that adopted children from all over the world and built an amazing home. Each night as I would fall asleep she played the piano. Some nights my sister and I would sing along to her piano. I began to love the old songs..." My Lean Baby" "Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most" and songs from every musical known and I would sing along with her as she played. This is no doubt one of my favorite memories of Mom. I know that my love of music came from both of my parents. They had very different styles that they preferred but that is why I love all kinds of music today.
It was always best to get "in trouble" with my mom as she found it nearly impossible to get her voice to a decibel that was loud enough to sound like yelling.
My mother taught me to serve others and to love the Lord. She would speak to me of spiritual things. She always seemed to cry when she talked of family and of God and despite my best efforts sometimes I find I do the same thing. She is my friend today and cares for me and my family in ways that have been meaningful and inspired. My children love her and look to her for her constant love and tenderness. My husband is consistently reassured that she loves him ...even more than she loves me. She finds what he likes and fills her freezer, refrigerator and cupboards with his favorites.
My Handsome Dad taught me to work hard and to do my best. I remember as I was preparing a presentation for middle school he showed me to make my visual presentation pop and how to make my comments meaningful and strong. He taught me to show love with hugs and kisses and touch. He is still who my kids gravitate to to get a hug and a kiss. I felt special when I was with him. He wasn't home a lot as I was growing up but in the years that I have lived by him as an adult I have been blessed to know him better and put together the pieces of who he was when I was young.
When he was home I remember the jokes....FOREVER with dad there were jokes and puns. I know the beauty of those awful jokes was to teach me not to take things so seriously and to take the time to laugh. Honestly some of the puns are not even in the vicinity of funny but are a great way to "let go." In fairness there are some that are VERY funny. I can see my kids now trying to get what he is saying and sometimes now they beat him to the punch-line. I feel sorry for people who miss the point of a truly awful pun! Lighten up!
Dad taught me to love the current sounds of music and to drive fast with the windows down and the music UP ALL THE WAY! We had a huge console radio and I would lie on the floor in the dark with the sound coming through those gigantic headphones attached to that huge console radio while listening to the sounds of "The Fifth Dimension" and " Carol King" and "Marvin Gaye."
Dad taught me to drive fast and to love cars. Now I have picked up his love for keeping a car clean and to park away from two- door cars. I even love his old cars now that I don't have to drive them.
I love that we have the chance now to live five minutes away from Pompa and Grandma. It has been the best part of living in St. Louis for the last seven years. I also love that my children know how important my parents are to me. It is a lesson they need to understand. There are miracles that grow, despite any failings, when we are forgiving and patient with each other. We work on it every day in my home and Mom and Dad teach us what they know to help us along. Loving another human being isn't about what we they give to us. It is who we become as we find ways to show love to each other and how that strength spills over and multiplies and multiplies in ways that count as miracles and blessings.
I will love you Mom and Dad for always. I will cherish your influence for every amazing gift you shared with me as a child... and now that you share with Jon and Cassie and Jenna and Carly and Rachel and Shane. You make our lives wonderful!

No comments:
Post a Comment