I am a believer that if you keep your ears and eyes open the opportunity to learn is all around us. I have found this to be true even in the check-out line at my local Walmart. I'm not talking about how aliens are abducting and probing local citizens or whether Brad and Angelina will ever marry. I mean really learn something from the real people that happen to be standing in line with you.
The first time I noticed this phenomenon was a couple of years ago when the news reports were saying that retailers were refusing to say "Merry Christmas" during the current holiday season. The concern was that people would be offended by those two words. I was annoyed by the whole thing. So while standing in this line I wanted to hear what the check-out girl would say to the lady in front of me. She was very pleasant and so was the woman in front of me. It was a nice exchange as they were both chatting in such a friendly way. The moment came...the receipt was torn off the register, handed to the customer and....and...I waited, leaning in a little closer to hear. It was then I noticed the nice lady in front of me reach into her purse and pull out the cutest little card; maybe the size of a square post-it note. Attatched to the card was a cute little candy cane that was tied on with a red ribbon and a tiny bell. The card had two words beautifully written on it in a lovely script font. She handed the card to the cashier and pleasantly smiled and said " Merry Christmas". I was stunned. Of course, how could I be so stupid? It was the perfect solution and I had completely missed it in my defiance to the idiots of the world. My attitude was totally un-Christmas like. I learned a powerful lesson that day.
The next time I learned something was during the presidential election last year. Again, a lady in front of me with a card; only this time it was a card that was "Pro her candidate". This time she handed the card to the cashier and went on and on about this man's undying devotion to the American people. I listened and scoffed inside my head at her vision of the perfect politician. I could feel this opinion in my mind begin pushing it's way out and before I knew it I had said it out loud.
"If you think either of these men running for president posses these perfect qualities that you are stating you are confused."
As soon as I stated my opinion I heard my name
"Rebecca Frazier, is that you?"
Further down the line was a lady Rachel had nannied for years earlier. She had heard my statement and had pushed her way up to the front where the discussion was taking place and chimed in. She too, felt that most politicians are corrupt. It was a peaceful discussion with all involved. I don't think I changed any minds but maybe there will be a different consideration placed on men running for power. I think most politicians would leave you and me dying by the side of the road.
That day I learned that I need to speak up and that there are others who feel the same way as I do. I have since learned to be more out-spoken politically. I will not argue but love the idea of an adult, well informed discussion. Most still just like "their guy" but have not educated themselves to even know why.
I was the perfect person to say this because I thought both of the candidates running were dismal at best. I have to say that as a believer in small government I did vote for John McCain but had to force myself to even want to go out and vote that day. I was sick when Obama won. But to be fair I would have felt sick if John McCain had won too...maybe just a little less so. Like the difference between having the bubonic plaque ( Obama) and a hang nail ( John McCain).
Moral of this post....
Listen and learn in the Walmart line.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
We are the Frazier Family... We have a good life together with minimal fighting and lots of fun.
Family Favorites
* Shakespeare in the Park
* Sunday night game night with friends
* Oreo cookie mint chocolate chip ice-cream dessert
* College Basketball ( Duke Fans)
* Photography
* Lake of the Ozarks
* Singing to the radio- we are annoying to travel with
* Roller Coasters
* Wicked
*Rocking on the front porch
* Thunderstorms
* The Muny
* Hanging out with Pompa and Grandma Jo
* Coach Mike from the Manchester Swim team
* Blogging
* Church
* Kick ball and wiffle ball games at Queeny Park
*i-pods, i-tunes and everything apple (except the i phone)

No comments:
Post a Comment