
I don't know how long ago I heard this phrase from Mary Griggs , " Make a promise and keep it", but it runs through my mind over and over and over again. When she said it at church one Sunday I am sure she had no idea the insanity she was subscribing me to.
That very day I decided that I would always try to fold my arms when a prayer was said. I tend to be a bit sloppy with that instruction during a prayer. I am not the type that opens my eyes ( unless I have to give one of my kids the "evil eye" to behave during a prayer) and I am pretty good at bowing my head. The whole arm thing is my weakness. So I did start folding my arms and now most every time I am a part of a prayer I remember that phrase, " Make a promise and keep it" and BAM! my arms are folded.
But then I think of all the times that I have made a promise in my mind and I just can't seem to get it to catch on. If I had kept all those promises this is where I COULD be in my life.
* I would be cooking dinner every night for my family so we could have meaningful and riveting conversations. I hear that children who have dinner every night with their families are better students and are less likely to get into drugs.
* I would have a spotless house with a rotation of duties completely planned and executed without interruption. I know cleanliness in the home makes for a better environment of calm and peace.
*I would be 30 pounds lighter and work out daily. I know that a healthy lifestyle leads to a happier me!
* I would be diligent in listening to my husband and children. I know active listening makes people feel valued and important.
* I would finish all the projects I started. AHHHHH!
* I would know all my neighbors. This reduces crime, makes it easier to borrow a cup of sugar and gives me the chance to make friends.
* I would get on DIY network and learn how to do all the home projects that need to get done. I know that doing my own projects will save me money!
* I would check out books and learn everything I can about proper investing and understanding the stock market. I know that preparing financially for our future means we can be the cute little old couple on the cruise-liner playing shuffle board on the lido deck.
* I would have a year's supply of food. I know that lots and lots of red wheat in my basement is gonna be hard to know how to use come crisis time!
* I would be politically involved. I know I can't complain about policy if I don't make my voice heard.
So you get the drift. The list goes on and on, yada yada yada and I am left severely lacking in getting to the promises I make.
In an unrelated side-note, a few years ago I went to the Japanese festival at the Botanical Gardens. While watching the Sumo Wrestlers go at it, the woman narrating explained that Sumo wrestlers bulk up in weight by eating white rice and going to sleep immediately after. Now when I eat and go to sleep, I hear in my head...." You are bulking up like a sumo wrestler"! I shared this bit of information with a few friends so they, too, could feel the warning in their minds. I was happy to share the madness. I hate feeling alone.
So with the purest of intentions and with a sincere invitation to subscribe to my insanity I offer some advice to you, " Make a promise and keep it"

No comments:
Post a Comment