When we take long road trips we like to play the game "Guess Who?" One person selects in his mind a famous person and everyone else in the car asks "yes" and "no" questions to try to figure out who they are thinking of.
Is this person dead or alive? male or female? real or make believe?
Inevitably, when we begin with Cassie we can pretty much focus on Disney stars, pop singers and cartoon characters.
When we begin asking Shane we can focus on dead historical figures from General Custer to George Washington. We usually start off by skipping the preliminary questions and say, " It's a dead white guy."
I just walked into Shane's room to put clean sheets on his bed. I was immediately drawn to his white board where there are four quotes written out. I stood there to assess who Shane is simply based on what he finds moving or valuable from these quotes. Funny thing is all four quotes come from four, white dead guys.
Quote #1 comes from Ronald Reagan-
"In our current crisis, government is not the solution to the problem , government IS the problem."
Quote #2 comes from Gerald Ford-"I believe that truth is the glue that holds government together, not only our government but civilization itself."


No comments:
Post a Comment