Now as an adult student, upon return from spring break the assignment is different. Instead of writing papers on " What did you do over the summer?" my graphic design professor asked "What did you do to design over spring break?"
My answer...
I went to Chicago. I felt good about my answer.
But then....
He asked if I had gone to the Art Museum there. Hmmmmm.....
Ask Rachel, Shane and Cassie if I wanted to go. I TRIED; Michigan avenue shops can be very distracting. Nonetheless Mr. Swoboda was not impressed. Since that question I have come up with a very complete and good answer.
I recalled how many buildings I pointed out to Rachel and tried to figure out the historical period they represented. I thought of the way my mind now processes window displays, American Girl Doll outfits, and Hershey Chocolate end caps. While up in the Hancock Building, I was struck with how far reaching the buildings stretched along Lake Michigan. I compared the size of the buildings up close to the tiny dots that seemed to go on indefinitely. I think I could now draw that on a flat piece of paper.
More than that I have realized how long I have had the design bug. I move my furniture around in my house regularly. I was always coming up with new hair-do's and snapping in big bows ( remember those in the 80's?), I have always always been taking pictures of my kids. Jon still asks what tie to wear and is regularly surprised that what I have suggested really looks good together! I have been a scrap-booker, a cross-stitcher and a homemaker. When I was awake in the wee hours with a new born I would sit and re-paint and design the room I was sitting in. When I walk into a furniture showroom my mind is processing ideas that come at me in 3 D words.
Can my life be more creative?
I see everything visually first. I have feelings that connect to anything visual.
If you tell me a story I see the pictures in my head and then I rarely forget the story.
If you ask me to read a book, I am distracted quickly and re-read the same page over and over again.
So while, YES, I missed the paintings, sculptures and other yummy artistry that was on display at the Art Institute of Chicago, I have come to know that I am almost always designing and creating. My head has swirling words and pictures while I am awake and while I am asleep.
My life is design and design is my life.
That's my answer today.
I did the above info-graphic for graphic design class on the virtues of the beloved pomegranate. I painted the tree with water colors, a first for me, and created the rest of the elements with photoshop and illustrator. Does it make you want to eat a pomegranate? We'll see what grade I get.............


No comments:
Post a Comment