Thursday, March 31, 2011

So Long, Farewell




This month Rachel came home for a very short visit. Now as a busy, hard working young woman, she takes on great responsibilities to run a thriving and very successful floral business. Her chance to sneak away comes in between crucial money-making holidays, like Valentines Day, Proms, Graduations, Spring Weddings, and Mother's Day. Any time she can jump on a plane and be home is a gift.

When she is home, she is focused on serving and loving all of us. She looks you in the eye, expresses her love and interest in your life; she laughs and plays with us like she has never been gone. She makes so many efforts to make the most of her time with us. She fills our home with her love.

I have always had dread when she leaves to go back. After her freshman year of college I noticed that shortly before she was to leave, one or both of us would pick a fight, just to deal with the inevitable goodbye.

This time was different.

On the last night she was home, I snuck into her dark room and sat beside her on the bed. I was glad to find that she was still awake. I leaned down to hug her goodnight and was overwhelmed with love. So in the dark with tears rolling down my face, I spoke is shaky tones and told her how special she is to me, how much I miss her and how happy I was that she was able to be home. She hugged me tightly. She didn't want me to be so sad.

I explained,

"These are happy tears."

"Huh?" "Happy tears?"

 I am sure she was wondering what could make me happy about her departure?

I quickly described what I meant,

" What would it be like if I didn't care if you were here; or if I didn't feel so much love for you that it made me cry?"

She paused.....

and followed my line of thinking.

We understood, Rachel and I, sitting in the dark full of gratitude. We have so many many reasons to be happy... to love so great and to feel so much that in times of separation it can bring tears to our eyes and sorrow to our hearts.

1 comment:

laradouglasphotography.blogspot.com said...

everything you blog makes me cry...grrrrrr and i'm mad i'm not there too grrrr again

We are the Frazier Family... We have a good life together with minimal fighting and lots of fun.

Family Favorites

* Shakespeare in the Park

* Sunday night game night with friends

* Oreo cookie mint chocolate chip ice-cream dessert

* College Basketball ( Duke Fans)

* Photography

* Lake of the Ozarks

* Singing to the radio- we are annoying to travel with

* Roller Coasters

* Wicked

*Rocking on the front porch

* Thunderstorms

* The Muny

* Hanging out with Pompa and Grandma Jo

* Coach Mike from the Manchester Swim team

* Blogging

* Church

* Kick ball and wiffle ball games at Queeny Park

*i-pods, i-tunes and everything apple (except the i phone)


Pages