Today Carly and I went to the McGavock Cemetery in Franklin. It is the largest privately held Confederate cemetery in the United States. But all facts aside, we were moved, inspired and saddened for all those that lost their lives in the bloody battle, known as the Battle of Franklin. We walked among some 1500 simple block markers and Carly read out any words that were still legible on the headstones.
I noticed that there were numerous trees inside the iron-gated cemetery. I began to take pictures of those that looked like they had been around many years while I wondered how long they had been growing in the cemetery. I love stories that are told by those that witnessed it first hand and I wondered if these trees held the stories of the struggle of the horrific battle and of those who's final resting place is just beneath their full and broadened branches...
One soldier was fighting against his own brother in battle
While another soldier was homesick for a wife and children who he would never see again in this life.
Another soldier found himself wondering why he was fighting at all.
And others were simply trying to preserve their way of life and saw no other solution.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
We are the Frazier Family... We have a good life together with minimal fighting and lots of fun.
Family Favorites
* Shakespeare in the Park
* Sunday night game night with friends
* Oreo cookie mint chocolate chip ice-cream dessert
* College Basketball ( Duke Fans)
* Photography
* Lake of the Ozarks
* Singing to the radio- we are annoying to travel with
* Roller Coasters
* Wicked
*Rocking on the front porch
* Thunderstorms
* The Muny
* Hanging out with Pompa and Grandma Jo
* Coach Mike from the Manchester Swim team
* Blogging
* Church
* Kick ball and wiffle ball games at Queeny Park
*i-pods, i-tunes and everything apple (except the i phone)



No comments:
Post a Comment