Monday, February 20, 2012

That's the Deal

We all have a path to choose. 

In my prepartation for the seminary lesson on Job,  I have been taking an inventory of sorts. It is rather a strange accounting, but I have been particularly interested in trials... mine and others. I also watched the movie Shadowlands and was very interested in the words of C.S. Lewis and in his approach to his pains recounted in this story. It has been rather sad and at the same time inspiring to have all this on my mind.

My list?

a friend who has had headaches for over 20 years
a child with an undiagnosed illness
a young adult who suffers from depression
the loss of bearing children
postpartum depression
loss of a job
loneliness
the loss of physical health due to age
death of a spouse or child
drug addiction
children with disabilities
hospitalization
crimes committed against us
wayward children
troubled marriage

We even created a list like this in Relief Society yesterday and Rand Olson home taught us about this very subject last night. Do I think someone is trying to tell me something. Yes, yes I do. We have to find meaning and learn from the times we suffer. We even have to feel joy and gratitude.

When C.S. Lewis was nine years old his mother died from cancer. In response to his pain he became an atheist; he just couldn't believe that God would do such a thing.

It is obvious through his writings and lectures that he eventually became a christian; a true believer. When his wife was diagnosed with cancer he was given the chance to face the same trial. Would he grow from the pain this time or turn his back on God again? His words inspired. They were penned after his wife, Joy, passed away.


"Why love if losing hurts so much? I have no answers anymore, only the life I've lived. Twice in that life, I've been given a choice, as a boy and as a man. The boy chose safety. The man chooses suffering. 


The pain now is part of the happiness then. That's the deal."



No comments:

We are the Frazier Family... We have a good life together with minimal fighting and lots of fun.

Family Favorites

* Shakespeare in the Park

* Sunday night game night with friends

* Oreo cookie mint chocolate chip ice-cream dessert

* College Basketball ( Duke Fans)

* Photography

* Lake of the Ozarks

* Singing to the radio- we are annoying to travel with

* Roller Coasters

* Wicked

*Rocking on the front porch

* Thunderstorms

* The Muny

* Hanging out with Pompa and Grandma Jo

* Coach Mike from the Manchester Swim team

* Blogging

* Church

* Kick ball and wiffle ball games at Queeny Park

*i-pods, i-tunes and everything apple (except the i phone)


Pages