Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Run-of-the-Mill Rejected; Exceptional Accepted

Imagine if you could watch a college coach give his team the pep talk before the big game, or witness firsthand a conversation between a parent and a child just before they leave for college, the military or a church mission. I've seen hollywood's version of these kinds of scenes and while they are passionate moments on a screen none are filled with so much depth and hope as the ones who are actually living in that moment.

There is an embrace, a focus and a tender turning to look deep into someone's face with certainty when you exclaim with great energy,

"Go out and be mediocre!"

Wait, what?

Mediocre?

I have a certain disdain for mediocrity; it makes me want to vomit. And who would want that for anyone?

Mediocrity means

unevenness,
poorness
patchiness
averageness,
ordinariness,



ew.
while I know we can see the value of cheering on the excellence of someone in their schooling, music, sports and art I see apathy and acceptance of allowing mediocrity as to things pertaining to God. 
Why?
I have been given every gift, blessing and hope, 
received unconditional love and answers to my prayers
felt comfort from unseen hands

by my Heavenly Father. 

I have been rescued from certain misery and despair by a Savior. 

In all their desire to lift my life and to bless me immeasurably all I can offer in return is a so-so standard? 

It is without a doubt that I look inward to determine how to go about my life with gratitude to them who created all things with beauty, grace and perfection.
I can use the gifts I have been given to help others, strengthen relationships and inspire those I serve and love. When I approach a calling at church I know that being mediocre is not what the Lord would offer. 
And in my human and weakened state I need to give my all. My all is not your all so it is not up for a discussion as to how you would do the same activity. As soon as I judge and criticize your efforts I have hit BELOW mediocrity to "mote and beam" status-yikes!

Mostly, as I work on a seminary lesson or a Young Women event, a family home evening lesson or a scripture scavenger hunt I know that the processes I use to create prepare me for that moment of execution. In that moment of engineering I have been obedient and I have come with my heart full as I have been in the process, however limited, of creation.

Creation in my terms coupled with the gifts He has provided and magnified with inspiration from above is a connection with God. 

I want to be far away from mediocre where it feels good, satisfying even, to know I can in a small way, give back to Him who gave me his all.



No comments:

We are the Frazier Family... We have a good life together with minimal fighting and lots of fun.

Family Favorites

* Shakespeare in the Park

* Sunday night game night with friends

* Oreo cookie mint chocolate chip ice-cream dessert

* College Basketball ( Duke Fans)

* Photography

* Lake of the Ozarks

* Singing to the radio- we are annoying to travel with

* Roller Coasters

* Wicked

*Rocking on the front porch

* Thunderstorms

* The Muny

* Hanging out with Pompa and Grandma Jo

* Coach Mike from the Manchester Swim team

* Blogging

* Church

* Kick ball and wiffle ball games at Queeny Park

*i-pods, i-tunes and everything apple (except the i phone)


Pages