I walked into my Graphic Design class a little over a week ago and found that I was in for a rude awakening.
I found that my desk was instead a huge drafting table. I felt a bit confused because I was hoping for a computer on a computer desk where I could use my skills of Illustrator and Photoshop. This desk was not the rude awakening.
I looked over the supply list of paint brushes and erasers and other "hand art tools" and started to wonder if I was in the right class. Even this list was not my rude awakening.
I filled out my "getting to know you" paper and answered the question of "How many art classes have you taken prior to this class?" I considered listing fantastic art projects I had designed with the 3 crayons and free kid's menu at O'Charleys. I began to think I might be in over my head...maybe. But even this was not the rude awakening.
A young girl entered the classroom a little late and seemed frustrated as she kicked her chair back to sit down in it. She then proceeded to lift her back pack on top of her huge drafting table with her feet. The sweater, she had draped over her shoulders, was where I looked next. I think I knew what was under that sweater, or rather, what was not under that sweater. Still it took me a minute for my mind to grasp what I was seeing. She had no arms. Nothing extended from her shoulder on either side.
And I was concerned I was in over my head?
In the days since that rude awakening I have watched her. I have walked over to her large drafting table to talk and have watched her measure out the design of our first project with a ruler and pencil in between her toes. She has been kind enough to give me some advice for my design. I have stood in line behind her at the copier and watched her flip open the lid of the copier with her chin and come away with the paper sandwiched between her chin and chest. I have looked over her design as it has taken shape and noticed that her design is one of the best in the class. I am simply amazed...a girl, drawing, in an art class, that has no arms.
What will I say again about something that seems a little out of my league?
Nothing. Absolutely nothing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
We are the Frazier Family... We have a good life together with minimal fighting and lots of fun.
Family Favorites
* Shakespeare in the Park
* Sunday night game night with friends
* Oreo cookie mint chocolate chip ice-cream dessert
* College Basketball ( Duke Fans)
* Photography
* Lake of the Ozarks
* Singing to the radio- we are annoying to travel with
* Roller Coasters
* Wicked
*Rocking on the front porch
* Thunderstorms
* The Muny
* Hanging out with Pompa and Grandma Jo
* Coach Mike from the Manchester Swim team
* Blogging
* Church
* Kick ball and wiffle ball games at Queeny Park
*i-pods, i-tunes and everything apple (except the i phone)

2 comments:
What a wonderful story! Keep us posted how you do in this class.
WOw! I feel like that when I encounter something like this I come to the realization that I have given up way to easy on things. Its like the movie Dodge Ball, Vince vaughn is sitting at a bar giving up on not doing the Dodge ball tournament and Lance ARmstrong sits down and asks him why he is not playing and he says I quit, then Lance says "yah I thought about quitting after I got testiscular cancer, brain and lung cancer, but I pushed through" Needless to say Vince feels like crap and goes and plays. But what an awesome experience for you see you can do anything. A little hike up the mountain produces an amazing biew.
Post a Comment