
When I was in seventh grade I discovered something about myself . It has grown with me in various ways and through time it is one of my guiding stars. It was toward the end of the school year and I was sick of the politics of school. Who was popular and who wasn't, influenced how you chose sides in a fight. It determined what boy liked you and how you were spoken of through-out the school. I was a very popular seventh grader. I was well liked and I didn't have any real trouble with anyone. But the way the girls treated each other bugged me. By mid- eighth grade I was done. I didn't really need anyone any more and I didn't feel uncomfortable just being me. I didn't try to impress anyone and I was content.
It was during this time I met my best friend, Amy. She was invited to church by a neighbor and we were instantly friends. She didn't, and still doesn't, have a mean bone in her body. She was baptized when she was 15 and I was 14. I spoke at her baptism. She and I could talk for hours about good things. She and I definitely talked about boys... a lot! We liked boys a lot and sometimes traded clothing and boyfriends at about the same frequency. I discovered what a real friend was at a young age. Gone were the days of the pettiness and foolishness of the girls at school.
I have made friends throughout my life but carefully seek those that I trust to be kind and real and true...not perfect. I love honesty and the exchange of how we are all just doing the best we can. I just can't stomach fake and mean and "looking to impress" types. Deanna Kerr, Sarah Critchlow, Natascha Andersen, Hannah Anderson, Shirley Boozer, Tanja Crouch, Heidi Rushing, Diana Pollmann, Jan Bright, Jody Blackhurst, Cindy Hubbard, Cathy Donahoe are just a few I have been blessed to know in my life. There are so many more!!
As for my best friend, Amy... I still talk to her most every week, several times a week. I see her at least once a year and our kids have grown up together. You see, she married my brother. She is my family now. What makes it hard for me is that she still doesn't have a mean bone in her body and I have been spoiled by her friendship.
I think of the lesson I learned in seventh grade.Having raised 4 daughters I realize that mean girls are still around.
My daughters are much like me and need only one or two true and honest friends.
For me...now there are mean women who pretend to be good. Yikes!
But always,
Always, I am grateful for the kindnesses of true friends.

3 comments:
I think I was a bipolar mean girl. WHen the situation called for one I came out. I hated the girl that got the guy, but I hated the girl that made people feel bad about themselves.
I was friends with every group.. funny enough I charmed my way in through humor at the expense of others. I just didn't have a filter on my mouth. I word vomited alot. Maybe I was a wordorexic.
Karrie is my Amy
That is so cool that your best friend married your brother.
Post a Comment