Saturday, November 7, 2009

Back in 1978


I spent an afternoon with Cassie and her friend Megan. Megan is in 8th grade and Cassie is in 7th grade. It struck me that Cassie and Megan are the exact same age as I was when I met my best friend Amy, in 1978, and I was blown away in that instant of realization at how young we were... and how old we are!!

In 1978 it took a curling iron 30 minutes to heat up.

In 1978 there were still only around 5 televison stations and the shows ended at midnight with the playing of the national anthem.

In 1978 we played records on record players.

In 1978 we didn't have cell phones or even a portable house phone.

In 1978 the word "gay" meant you were happy.

In 1978 we watched the original "Charlie's Angels" on tv.

In 1978 I didn't know why I didn't like the leadership of President Jimmy Carter. Today I know why.

In 1978 the movie "Grease" was at the movie theater for the first time.

In 1978 a new restaurant came into our town and my sister, Kathy, got a job there. It was called Wendys.

In 1978 the Bee Gees were the rave of the pop charts and the disco phase had begun.

In 1978 you went to the library to work on a term paper, there were no computers and we took typing in school.

In 1978 tattoos were for prison inmates and motorcycle gangs.

1n 1978 Michael Jackson had dark skin and a full nose.

In 1978 you dropped off your film to be developed and picked it up roughly 10 days later.

In 1978 you wore thongs on your feet. Today you call them flip flops.

2 comments:

Austin and Karrie said...

I wish I lived in the '70s. Life is too stressful with all the technology now days! I wish it was more simple like back then!

Kristen said...

Great list! I must admit that I love the convenience of cell phones. Other than that, the '70s may be the better choice.

We are the Frazier Family... We have a good life together with minimal fighting and lots of fun.

Family Favorites

* Shakespeare in the Park

* Sunday night game night with friends

* Oreo cookie mint chocolate chip ice-cream dessert

* College Basketball ( Duke Fans)

* Photography

* Lake of the Ozarks

* Singing to the radio- we are annoying to travel with

* Roller Coasters

* Wicked

*Rocking on the front porch

* Thunderstorms

* The Muny

* Hanging out with Pompa and Grandma Jo

* Coach Mike from the Manchester Swim team

* Blogging

* Church

* Kick ball and wiffle ball games at Queeny Park

*i-pods, i-tunes and everything apple (except the i phone)


Pages