
Some in my family might refer to me as the artist formerly known as " Becky Home-ecky". My home-ecked-ness has slowly slipped away over the years. It isn't that I don't miss that part of me but it seems to be in less demand these days.
There was a time when I would look forward to the next seasonal fruit to make jams, jellies or applesauce. I even squeezed juices from grapes to make grape jelly. I made lists for the grocery store and menus for the week. Most every night I cooked and had all the food groups represented on my dinner plates. We waited for Jon to come home so we could all sit together and talk and have a meal together. Even as a greater shock, I used to sew. I didn't make anything difficult or fancy but simple jumpers for my little girls was a fun task....I said FUN...I blow myself away on that one.
Now it seems that I have traded my canning items in for a back-pack, pencil box and notebook paper. The time I spent making lists or making dinner is now spent on the computer editing photographs I have taken. I have lost the desire to make any meal since our schedules are hectic and different. Shane and Cassie need to eat when they get home from school so they don't sink to the bottom of the pool during swim practice each evening. Jon's hours are harder to gauge and when he is in town he has often eaten out with a client during lunch and is not hungry for dinner.
What really has me wondering where that part of me went is how awkward I am when I do go back to those ways. Today I woke up to make two loaves of banana bread. I cleaned the kitchen cabinets cause I want the house to feel clean and peaceful when we are all together for Christmas in ten days. As I looked through my cabinets to make a list of items needed from the grocery store I felt like I needed to make a menu for the days ahead. In all of this I find that I miss the former Becky Home-ecky part of me but have found currently that her skills...tho good once upon a time...are so last year.

1 comment:
I started to write then I just blogged about it.
Post a Comment