Tuesday, December 8, 2009

There was this Mormon, Jew and Lutheran.....

I love the celebrations that take place this time of year. I love the pretty dishes that are set out on tables to eat delectable food. Christmas dresses and foods rich in color are entrancing. I love the lights that are all sizes, shapes and colors. It really does make the world a little bit magical.

I also want to understand what other's celebrations are all about. As a Mormon we celebrate Christmas.. Mary, Jospeh, baby Jesus and all. But we have kids of many faiths and beliefs in our home and are interested in their traditions too.

One year Jenna was dating Brian, the local Lutheran minister's son, and she was friends with a Jewish girl, Allison. One night as we were all gathered in the kitchen I asked Allison why those of her faith light a candle each evening for Hanukah.

"Is it because you are waiting for the Savior to come?" I inquired.

She quickly replied, " No, I think we believe He already came."

Jenna, Brian and I laughed a lot and let her know that indeed those of the Jewish faith are still waiting for the Savior to come.

She simply said, "Really?"

"Don't ask me I am a bad Jew."

When we come to understand that we can find common ground with each other and laugh together it makes the celebrations of life no matter the season, Magical.

1 comment:

Carly Michelle said...

Still one of my favorite stories of all time. Love that Allison.

We are the Frazier Family... We have a good life together with minimal fighting and lots of fun.

Family Favorites

* Shakespeare in the Park

* Sunday night game night with friends

* Oreo cookie mint chocolate chip ice-cream dessert

* College Basketball ( Duke Fans)

* Photography

* Lake of the Ozarks

* Singing to the radio- we are annoying to travel with

* Roller Coasters

* Wicked

*Rocking on the front porch

* Thunderstorms

* The Muny

* Hanging out with Pompa and Grandma Jo

* Coach Mike from the Manchester Swim team

* Blogging

* Church

* Kick ball and wiffle ball games at Queeny Park

*i-pods, i-tunes and everything apple (except the i phone)


Pages