Friday, February 5, 2010

Am I My Brother's Keeper?

Many years ago in a Nashville paper I read the story of a woman involved in a community service project. She explained that she had grown up with a father that asked her each evening at the dinner table,
"What did you do today to make the world a better place"?

This question of being our brother's keeper is all ablaze these days. It is disputed in congress on how we  distribute the financial wealth among the brothers and sisters of this country. The question is stirred within us again when we see vivid pictures of the world's starving and struggling people.

I think we all know the answer to the question is yes, we are our brother's keeper. The answers of how we respond as keepers are worked out within the mind and heart of each individual.  We can not decide for each other whether or not the offering is good enough and we can not force others to answer the call of brotherhood.

For instance, this week:

Rachel, despite her mad schedule of running a flower shop around Valentine's day, has sent me sweet messages via text.

Natascha has reminded me of a friendship that can be picked back up at any time. I think we were friends pre-earth or sumthin.

Kim has picked up the phone and just chatted and laughed with me.

Mom has made my family a hot dinner. Always a happy day at my house when grandma cooks!

Alma has fed us with food and laughter, making time to sit with Jenna and I to watch the Bachelor.


Dad took me to lunch and made me feel like his little girl again. He always does.


Joni made me laugh and then cry so hard this week I was grateful that my bladder was empty and that there were no stitches or staples to pop from surgery.


Lynette (Nashville friend), Diana(Memphis friend) and Kara( St. Louis friend) left  comments on my blog that were generously complimentary.

Richelle colored my, now almost completely, gray hair and made me laugh. She came up with a brilliant excuse...My uterus is too wide...to get out of undesirable tasks.

I understand the call to be the Hands of Heaven. We are all His children.

So I ask myself,

"What did I do today to make the world a better place for my brother"?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sista girl, I love being able to laugh and cry with you. It makes my day all the better.

We are the Frazier Family... We have a good life together with minimal fighting and lots of fun.

Family Favorites

* Shakespeare in the Park

* Sunday night game night with friends

* Oreo cookie mint chocolate chip ice-cream dessert

* College Basketball ( Duke Fans)

* Photography

* Lake of the Ozarks

* Singing to the radio- we are annoying to travel with

* Roller Coasters

* Wicked

*Rocking on the front porch

* Thunderstorms

* The Muny

* Hanging out with Pompa and Grandma Jo

* Coach Mike from the Manchester Swim team

* Blogging

* Church

* Kick ball and wiffle ball games at Queeny Park

*i-pods, i-tunes and everything apple (except the i phone)


Pages