
There are rumors that I have set lectures for my children. Some even say the lectures are numbered like some organized and categorized system. This is clearly a lie because no one in my house is that organized. I have yet to see the proof that these files even exist.
"Don't do that!" with a furrowed brow
"Please share." a tilted head with a pleading look
What's the magic word?" a smile with anticipation
"Because I said so." high eyebrows in the attitude of "How dare you ask!"
and my personal favorite and most often used in the first years of life...
"No"
With this as the beginning we are laying the foundations of becoming one of the great lecturers of our time and all done without a TelePrompTer! Our themes and styles are beginning to take root.
For our older children we have to expound a lot more to keep their attention. They are a much tougher crowd. Short choppy sentences, little gestures or quick, one word demands no longer work. This is where the stories and quotes begin. Hands really begin to talk along with the words of inspiration. Your voice tones, filled with the proper emotion, match the message you are trying to make. You throw in a few funny lines to keep them focused.
Now the lectures begin to take on categories like persuasive and informational but motivational is most often used. Be aware that now, for the most part, all speeches are impromptu so you gotta be ready at a moment's notice. I remember after the Columbine shootings what I had explain to Rachel, then a thirteen year old. She had lots of questions and Boy! I had to be on and ready! That was a big test!
Some of my favorite themes come from a quotes like...
"It is our response to the imperfections of others that determines our growth."
or
" When you pick up one end of the stick you pick up the other."
or ideas that are like this...
"I don't care if you like me or not. I am your mother and it's my job to make your life miserable! "
or
"I know that you can do anything and I am your biggest fan!"
During these speeches there are times that the delivery has been great but the message has not been received. You used some of your best material but still your audience doesn't get it. Do you stop? feel defeated? have you failed the class?
Nope.
For tomorrow is another day. There is courage, honesty and love to be taught. The stories will be better next time and the intent to teach the idea, stronger. We are more invested in our pupil's understanding. Tucked deep down inside is another lecture bubbling up and waiting to be shared. We are professionals now.We may have passed the original class with a fine grade but continuing education is our future. For we are mothers and it is in our job description to lead and teach and share all that we know and all that we have learned so they can have a better understanding of life.
Our intentions are good and though we may have been a little long winded at times our goal is their happiness. For in the words of one so inspired,
"There is no success in life that can compensate for failure in the home."

4 comments:
So true...didn't really understand all this til there were kidlets of my own to lecture. And um...teenagers scare me.
If only the class " Go get a switch" were still available Lecture 101 wouldn't exist. I do realize that I talk much louder now that I have kids.
By the time we have our lectures down and organized, and on quick recall -- our kids are lecturing their own toddlers...it's hopeless.
Your point may have been proven in this blog post, because even though you obviously proved some great points and put so much feeling into it-I cannot get past the fact that you say NO ONE? in your house is that organized????
Post a Comment