Monday, August 30, 2010

Faith, Hope and Charity

Yes,  I traveled to Washington D.C. this weekend to stand amongst a crowd of some 600,000+ Americans who are unhappy with our government. I do not like the current trend and direction of bigger government and their excessive spending. I do not hate black people, I am not a white elitist, I am not a Republican or a Democrat, I am not a Tea Party member, I am not a bigot, I am not a  blind follower of Glenn Beck or Sarah Palin. I am simply an American. I want a better America for my family and I believe that we need to return to the Constitution being the rule of law in this land. It is my belief that this  document has created the greatest country on the earth. 

My sister Kathy and sister-in-law Julie and I arrived downtown on Saturday morning at around 7:00. All around the reflecting pool the area was packed. It was hard to believe that so early in the morning there were hundreds of thousands already seated and ready to listen. By the time it was time to start I can honestly say that I have never stood among so many people in my life. They filled both sides of the reflecting pond. The steps of the Lincoln Memorial and it's surrounding walls were filled. Behind the Lincoln memorial the fields were packed. By 10 o'clock, the masses went all the way to the Washington monument and beyond. Many of the distant people were simply dots from my view. It is still overwhelming to me to grasp how many people surrounded me. 

Just as the event was to begin a flock of geese in perfect "V" formation flew from the end of the reflecting pool to the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in time with the beginning music. Everyone clapped and Kathy, Julie and I laughed out loud at the perfection of their timing. We started with an opening prayer by a minister. I am sorry I can't remember his name. His prayer was loud and intense;  probably not the way I would pray but it was heartfelt and rousing.  Everyone there was quiet, peaceful and friendly. We stood and recited the pledge of allegiance. Men and women removed their hats and put their hands over their hearts. During the program we actually sang AMAZING GRACE and the STAR SPANGLED BANNER. One of the speakers asked for all the Vietnam Vets to raise their hands and asked that we finally give them the homecoming cheers that they deserved. The crowds screamed, whistled and clapped for them. 

Throughout the day each speaker added to the message...a message of courage to stand for the principles that were the foundation of this great country,  a reminder to show charity for our fellow man,  a plea to rediscover our faith in God and a reminder to be honest in all our dealings each day. There were awards given to people who demonstrate in their lives the actions of faith hope and charity. These individuals were recognized for their integrity. We heard from a woman who lost her son in Iraq about his dreams and his courage to defend freedom. We also heard from Martin Luther King's niece about what her uncle's dream was all about. She came there at great personal risk. Her fearlessness made me feel weak. The crowd cheered and whistled enthusiastically for her. My hands hurt from clapping so much. It was hot but we were sitting on a blanket in the shade of a tree. We were about half-way down the reflecting pool on the right side as we faced the Lincoln Memorial.

 One of the most inspiring spoken words of the day was the closing prayer by a man who literally blew his face off with a grenade in the Vietnam war. During the prayer there were moments that we cheered and clapped and then he would begin again to say the words of his prayer. I looked at my sister, Kathy, during his prayer and saw she had tears streaming down her face. I was as moved as she was. I was so happy to be there with Kathy and Julie and to share such a moment with them. I was not angry. I left inspired and lifted. I left with the resolve to live my life better and to love all. I left with answers to my questions. It was a great day. 

No matter what the papers and news commentators say about this day, I know it was day about prayer and hope. In that truth I am sure. 

As we left to walk to the metro to take the train back to Julie's house we came upon the Al Sharpton march. Lots of screaming and demanding of justice... someone would yell. "When do you want justice?" and the crowd would respond and scream back..." We want it NOW!"  and then the chanting would begin..." NO JUSTICE, NO PEACE". Kathy pointed out how many groups held their union's name sign. SEIU was there with their large purple signs. The march was not completely comprised of  union workers but there were many unions represented there. Kathy would point again and say,

 " Look another union"

 I stood at the street edge with my cell phone and took several videos.  I watched as they walked along together and wondered why I felt their anger. It was in such contrast to how I had felt in the gathering I had just left. I wondered if they knew that I saw them as my brother and my sister as they screamed out in frustration.  I wondered if they knew that I know that inequality and injustice happen everywhere and to many people every day in this world?  I have felt prejudice because of my religion. All of it is wrong. I wonder if they believe that anger will make anything change? I know it will not.

This day was historic, this day was meaningful and this is a day that I will never forget. I went because of my son, Shane who wished he could have gone. He loves history and is deeply entrenched in the politics of this country. I went for Rachel, Carly, Jenna and Cassie because someday they will have children that will grow up in this blessed land. I went for Jon because he loves his country. I went because I felt compelled to be there. I will never forget the day and the two women I stood with... my family. 

My wish for all is that God will bless America and keep freedom alive in this blessed land.



No comments:

We are the Frazier Family... We have a good life together with minimal fighting and lots of fun.

Family Favorites

* Shakespeare in the Park

* Sunday night game night with friends

* Oreo cookie mint chocolate chip ice-cream dessert

* College Basketball ( Duke Fans)

* Photography

* Lake of the Ozarks

* Singing to the radio- we are annoying to travel with

* Roller Coasters

* Wicked

*Rocking on the front porch

* Thunderstorms

* The Muny

* Hanging out with Pompa and Grandma Jo

* Coach Mike from the Manchester Swim team

* Blogging

* Church

* Kick ball and wiffle ball games at Queeny Park

*i-pods, i-tunes and everything apple (except the i phone)


Pages