It was a very last minute trip for the Labor day weekend but our fast decision to head to Branson with Shane and Cassie was a great idea for a much needed family vacation. We headed to a resort called Westgate for a simple, cheap hotel room. There were fun activities throughout the resort; ping pong, a foosball table, tables full of board games like chinese checkers, LIFE and regular checkers.
Shane and I played a game of foosball. It was funny to begin with since I had never actually ever played. I spun anything on my side in homes of hitting the ball in the goal. Sometimes I forgot to even put my goalie in front of my goal. Shane easily beat me 10 to 3. I think he might have hit in a couple for me to even give me a score. Second game with Shane, acting all tough and claiming he needed to play me for a warm-up to a much more important game with Dad, left my boy feeling a bit humbled! I won. I had no plan and no skill; just dumb luck that left Jon laughing so hard and left Shane with a bit of a sheepish grin with some muttering I couldn't understand.
Cassie had a 5.00 bet with Jon in a ping pong game that she could simply score. She left without a five dollar bill but still had a smile on her face.
On Sunday it was our intention to go to church...and we slept in. Instead we had our own little discussion on truth. Jon shared a great article from Richard G. Scott about using truth in making all our decisions. Shane and Cassie shared some stories and thoughts about telling the truth and then we finished our own little sermon/Sunday school and felt good about our Sabbath.
But darn it ... that whole truth thing has been messing with me since.
Example-
We played two rounds of miniature golf in Branson the next afternoon. I always cheat in miniature golf. I get so frustrated when I look around me and see windmills and clown faces and I can't get the stupid ball to drop in the hole in less than 6 strokes. I kick the ball if it looks like it is going for the waterfall or I subtract several strokes from my score on the card I insist on carrying. So with the truth sermon the day before I was doomed to the reality that I had to play an honest game of miniature golf. On the first hole I started with my little shuffle-kick to get the ball headed in the right direction.
Shane says,
" Mom you shouldn't cheat." and Cassie looks in my direction with a combination look of agreement with her brother and a look of motherly disappointment ( I know I invented that look she is now using on me!)
I concentrated and focused. I lined the ball up with the hole before I putt and I took my time with each stroke. I felt like a golf pro. Ridiculous!
I actually played well but still don't really like the game.
The next example of torment left over from the truth sermon happened on Tuesday. I went to see a personal trainer because while we are being honest, I am too flabby...but that is another post for another day. He suggested that I write everything down that I eat for the next few days. WHAAAAAT?
That's like revealing all my deepest darkest secrets... on paper. He even said I needed to be specific.
So since Sunday I have had this constant nagging to be honest and truthful in all things. Before all this stuff happened I would have told you that I am an honest person. I want people to trust me with their secrets and confidences; and they can. Really.
But lurking in all of us there are parts that still have to be purged. My just have to do with a silly game and a food diary.
While I am in the honesty mood I am extremely thankful that I don't have to hear Jon's sermons every week. Next time I will make sure we get up in time to go to church.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
We are the Frazier Family... We have a good life together with minimal fighting and lots of fun.
Family Favorites
* Shakespeare in the Park
* Sunday night game night with friends
* Oreo cookie mint chocolate chip ice-cream dessert
* College Basketball ( Duke Fans)
* Photography
* Lake of the Ozarks
* Singing to the radio- we are annoying to travel with
* Roller Coasters
* Wicked
*Rocking on the front porch
* Thunderstorms
* The Muny
* Hanging out with Pompa and Grandma Jo
* Coach Mike from the Manchester Swim team
* Blogging
* Church
* Kick ball and wiffle ball games at Queeny Park
*i-pods, i-tunes and everything apple (except the i phone)

No comments:
Post a Comment