Wednesday, February 23, 2011
Salty Oatmeal
the story of salty oatmeal is famous ... at least it is in my family!
My sister, Joni was born January 3, 1967. While Mom and baby sister were in the hospital , John, Kathy and I relied upon Dad to cook for us. One morning dad made us oatmeal. I was not quite three years old at the time so my memory of this is gone...maybe for good reason. Apparently, Dad put in more salt in the oatmeal than was written on the recipe; a lot more! The guess is that while the recipe called for 1/4 tsp of salt dad added something like 1/4 cup to our morning meal. That sounds a bit extreme BUT my dad is not a cook so it could be true. I think a tablespoon seems more realistic.
At first taste we all complained. At dad's insistence the cereal was fine. I am not sure if he made that assessment after tasting the cereal or just wanted to push things along. When the complaints continued his recommendation,
" Just add more milk and sugar!"
We did not argue with Dad!
Again, I have no feelings or memories of this day, but in my mind I can see our frantic attempts to improve our breakfast by taking huge spoonfuls of sugar and quickly adding them to the bowls in front of us. From this experience I have learned a lesson that is deeply rooted in anything I devour.
One can never have too much sugar.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
We are the Frazier Family... We have a good life together with minimal fighting and lots of fun.
Family Favorites
* Shakespeare in the Park
* Sunday night game night with friends
* Oreo cookie mint chocolate chip ice-cream dessert
* College Basketball ( Duke Fans)
* Photography
* Lake of the Ozarks
* Singing to the radio- we are annoying to travel with
* Roller Coasters
* Wicked
*Rocking on the front porch
* Thunderstorms
* The Muny
* Hanging out with Pompa and Grandma Jo
* Coach Mike from the Manchester Swim team
* Blogging
* Church
* Kick ball and wiffle ball games at Queeny Park
*i-pods, i-tunes and everything apple (except the i phone)


1 comment:
Oh so true! But don't forget the cinnamon!!! I remember we used to keep a big salt shaker in the cupboard and when we had a babysitter watching us she put that on our toast thinking it was sugar. Eww gross! But definitely not as potent as 1/4 cup! oh my nastiness!
Post a Comment