That was the last time I hung out with Cynthia. For the next two years of jr. high, in our quaint Chicago suburb, Cynthia and I saw each other but rarely spoke. I wasn't uncomfortable as much as I was sad. I remember what it felt like when I found out why she wouldn't have me as her friend any more. I apparently had not made good impression on her parents. I hadn't said anything inappropriate or unkind. I didn't swear or supply their daughter with drugs. I hadn't cohersed Cynthia into anything immoral, dangerous or illegal. Their reason for banning me from their daughter's life?
I was a Mormon.
The feeling for me was strange and it seriously left me puzzled and confused. I had been eliminated on account of my religion?
I stand equally confused now when I see people separated into categories. The effort to involve, know and even love another person is squashed in quick time. I see it more in people who profess their own goodness.
Fat, Educated, Black,White?
Rich or
Poor?
Influential
or
Well-connected?
Attractive, Geek, Jock, Freak?
Funny or
Shy?
Republican or
Democrat?
Old or
Young?
Religious?
Allah or
Muhammad?
Buddha?
Jesus?
OR
Non-religious?
Married, Single or
Divorced?
Not Perfect Like Me...with the excuse of
" Different Way of Doing Things." ( oh brother)
Decide to make a difference not a division in your world.
You have brains in your head. You have feet in
your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction
you choose. Dr. Seuss


1 comment:
Thoughtful post. Religious persecution in any form is not fun. It was probably all those extra wives that you dad had that turned the parents off. (grin) I am going to remain in the the fat, friendly, geekish, Mormon, Republican group. Any one want to join me? We longingly gaze at all skinny people, wonder why others just can't say, "Hi", secretly hate dumb questions but greet them with, "No problem. No questions are dumb.", like to make things with our hands, would easily give up our television, phone, and air conditioning before giving up our Internet connection, love the stereotypes being broken down by the "And I am a Mormon" ads, and think Mitt Romney would be in the top five best Presidents in the history of US Presidents. Do you still want to join me?
Post a Comment