Friday, October 28, 2011

The Quiet and Simple

When Jenna was home visiting last time she and I sat on the bed and I read aloud to her many of the books I read to her as a child. The Rag Coat, Amazing Grace, Six Dinner Sid,  and When I Was Young in the Mountains were some of the favorites. As I read,  the inflection in my voice and emphasis on words sounded just as they did when I read them years ago. I found myself back in a place I loved as I was washed over with the memory I had of reading to my children. When I read to my kids it made all the mistakes of motherhood vanish away.

I don't think I ever really graduated into liking more grown-up books. The books I read with my kids were simple, but strong and influential.

With Amazing Grace, I learned I could do anything.

With The Rag Coat, I became understanding and compassionate.

After reading When I was Young in the Mountains, I found solace in the simpleness of family life.

Now with no little ones to read to, I find myself in a most fortunate situation. On Thursdays I help at an elementary school about thirty minutes away. I get to sit with one child and listen to them read to me. The way they sound out each letter and blend those sounds into words is music to my ears. Life feels simple and sweet again. I know that as I sit and read with these little six-year-olds I am helping them with an important skill for life, but there is no doubt that they are more of a benefit to me. In a three hour time lapse I am more whole and I am filled with enthusiasm, joy and love.

This week I read with one boy who seemed a bit reluctant. As we sat in the hall on two little chairs I asked him if we had read together before? He quietly said,

"No"

and he made no eye contact with me as I spoke.

I turned the first page and he began reading, at first a little halted and nearly inaudible. I turned the page again and I praised his efforts,

" That was so good!"

 I turned the next page and before he began reading again he shuffled his feet a little to scoot his chair closer to mine. Then as he finished the last pages of the book he leaned over and rested his head on my shoulder.

I melted in that quiet and unhurried place.The world is so noisy, busy and filled with anger and offenses.

In that moment I was reminded of the power of a simple and quiet event...reading with a child.

1 comment:

Forever Young said...

I love this post. I find, too, that when my life is hectic and all FOUR kids are running around, crying and asking for things that as soon as I say, "let's read a book", everything goes quiet and I always get an "ok!". These are the memories I cherish. Sitting on the floor, couch, beds where ever with all four children gathered around me and me reading to them in different voices and accents as we laugh together. You are right. There is something special about sitting down with a good book, especially with your children.

We are the Frazier Family... We have a good life together with minimal fighting and lots of fun.

Family Favorites

* Shakespeare in the Park

* Sunday night game night with friends

* Oreo cookie mint chocolate chip ice-cream dessert

* College Basketball ( Duke Fans)

* Photography

* Lake of the Ozarks

* Singing to the radio- we are annoying to travel with

* Roller Coasters

* Wicked

*Rocking on the front porch

* Thunderstorms

* The Muny

* Hanging out with Pompa and Grandma Jo

* Coach Mike from the Manchester Swim team

* Blogging

* Church

* Kick ball and wiffle ball games at Queeny Park

*i-pods, i-tunes and everything apple (except the i phone)


Pages