Last night as Jon and I visited with friends something was said in conversation that has had me thinking all morning. The simple phrase was something like,
" I'm not a super spiritual guy."
I asked this friend,
"why not?"
Not to challenge him but to understand what he meant.
I have known this friend and his wife for over twenty years. I watched him baptize his wife and I witnessed the sealing of his family in the Atlanta temple. I have been aware of his genuine kindnesses to his fellow man and I have watched him serve in various callings with dedication.
So what is spiritual?
Is it a language or representation of goodness? I know some people are sappy with proper words that seem to me to be an effort to convince others of their righteousness.
Is it a communion with nature or seen in a position of meditation complete with poised hands with the sounds of " ohmmmm" filling the air?
Is it an ability to recite bible verses or know all theological history?
I have my own answers to what I see as "spiritual"
I believe being spiritual is a humble, daily walk with deity. It is not loud or showy. It is an understanding of how much we need from Him and how much He needs from us. It is how we love our fellow man. Spirituality guides us to take a private inventory of ourselves and how we measure our testimony. It urges us to continue pressing forward in our faith, to repent of wrongs and to love our Savior. Being spiritually minded fills us with gratitude.
I think we know truly spiritual people by how we feel in their company.
Last night I felt great in the company of my friends.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
We are the Frazier Family... We have a good life together with minimal fighting and lots of fun.
Family Favorites
* Shakespeare in the Park
* Sunday night game night with friends
* Oreo cookie mint chocolate chip ice-cream dessert
* College Basketball ( Duke Fans)
* Photography
* Lake of the Ozarks
* Singing to the radio- we are annoying to travel with
* Roller Coasters
* Wicked
*Rocking on the front porch
* Thunderstorms
* The Muny
* Hanging out with Pompa and Grandma Jo
* Coach Mike from the Manchester Swim team
* Blogging
* Church
* Kick ball and wiffle ball games at Queeny Park
*i-pods, i-tunes and everything apple (except the i phone)

No comments:
Post a Comment