Friday, April 13, 2012

Wonder Women


I don't think I was prepared for adulthood and all that came with it, but I feel certain that none of us are. It is just a fact that when we haven't "been there" or "done that" we will naturally be caught off guard.

I remember being taken to Ricks College by my brother, John and sister-in-law, Amy. I had left my parents earlier that day and had flown from Memphis to Salt Lake City. John and Amy picked me up at the airport and then the three of us took a road trip to Rexburg, Idaho. Once we arrived it was dark so they pulled out my stuff from the trunk and they left. I walked into an apartment with five roommates I had never met and in an instant my life began in a town I had only seen some five years earlier when the whole family had taken my sister Kathy there to start school.

Back in those days there were no cell phones so if times got tough, I had to solve the problem. My small monthly budget could not go to making long distance phone calls for petty things....although I did call a boyfriend back in Memphis sometimes costing me all my grocery money. Needless to say because of my lack of funds for food, I did not gain the obligatory "freshman ten " and appreciated the kindness of friends who shared their peanut butter and jelly.

Of course more schooling came along and then there was working, socializing and dating which eventually led me to marriage and motherhood; all which were surprises in my inexperienced life. In looking back on my life as different parts of adulthood were thrust upon me, I can say I did pretty well.

Sometimes I wonder how I made it...

...especially when I consider the successes of my daughters;  Rachel's working life in "big city" Boston, Carly's life in the business world and Jenna's efforts to work and go to school and manage her expenses all on her own. I am in awe of what they are doing and what they have accomplished. They have figured it all out better and sooner than I did.

I am so pleased with who they are and what they have been able to overcome with determination. They have squashed their fears and found that with the love of God they can keep going.

I am certain I have some work to do to catch up.


1 comment:

Maggie said...

i read your blog and i simply feel inspired. your spirit means so much to me, thank you for your example.

We are the Frazier Family... We have a good life together with minimal fighting and lots of fun.

Family Favorites

* Shakespeare in the Park

* Sunday night game night with friends

* Oreo cookie mint chocolate chip ice-cream dessert

* College Basketball ( Duke Fans)

* Photography

* Lake of the Ozarks

* Singing to the radio- we are annoying to travel with

* Roller Coasters

* Wicked

*Rocking on the front porch

* Thunderstorms

* The Muny

* Hanging out with Pompa and Grandma Jo

* Coach Mike from the Manchester Swim team

* Blogging

* Church

* Kick ball and wiffle ball games at Queeny Park

*i-pods, i-tunes and everything apple (except the i phone)


Pages