
Yesterday in my design class my instructor asked what all my kid's were planning for my Mother's Day gift. He shows real interest in my life; especially as it relates to my family. Oh, and he likes to announce that I am the most "mature" of his students. Anyway, my response to him was that I had no idea what the kids had planned for me. They are always super thoughtful and have some very cool and never ordinary ideas.
Interestingly, last night my daughters Jenna, Cassie and Carly (no boys allowed) took me to the Chesterfield Mall for a Mother's Day surprise. I have to admit when I saw us pull up in front of Cheesecake Factory I was concerned because I was not hungry AT ALL. Really, I was still full from lunch with my dad and CArly earlier in the day. I wondered if I was gonna have to fake hunger but the thought of those huge portions they put on the plate felt overwhelming. We went in the doors and BLESSED DAY we passed the Cheesecake Factory ( that is a very, very, very unusual thing for me to say!) As we went up the escalators to the movie theater they told me that they were taking me to a live feed of a show by Dr. Laura called, " In Praise of Stay At Home Moms" It was hard not to cry. I was so touched by their thoughtfulness. Jenna had heard that the show was coming some days before and had decided it was a great idea. I used to listen to Dr. Laura years and years ago but haven't been able to find her until about a month ago on my XM car radio. What can say other than it was great! It made us all laugh and made some of us cry. It was a inspiring tribute to a dying breed called- " Stay at home mom"
I have always explained that my life as a stay at home mom was a fulfillment of a dream. As a young mother I was asked to be the keynote speaker at a young women's conference. The woman in charge asked me what my credentials were so she could properly introduce me. I have been to other conferences where long and interesting facts are shared and very impressive accomplisments are recited. It came so clear what I was to say to this woman. "Tell them I am a Mom"
I am glad that I knew how impressive that was then and not in hind-site. It was a powerful moment.
I had a friend in high school that thought I was nuts, nuts, and more nuts when I told her that what I wanted out of life was a house full of kids and to stay home with them to love and learn and laugh with them. She called me years later after her illustrious career and years of college to say, " How did you know?" She had given birth to her son and she was in love.
Happy Mother's Day to all of you that make your day a full-time commitment to the nurturing and teaching of those precious children .And thank you, Jon for working so hard ( sometimes three jobs) so I could live my dream of being at home with our amazing kids.

2 comments:
Thank you for that! I love being home with my kids too, but sometimes (most of the time) I think it would be so great to have a part-time job. And I love Dr. Laura! Way to go Frazier girls!
Love this post! Your children are amazing - and you are the reason!
Love you.
Post a Comment