
When I am uncomfortable I have several automatic reactions. The most prevalent reaction is laughter. If I get laughing too much, it's really hard for me to stop. The more I tell myself to stop the more I laugh. This has happened when we are having family prayer. I begin laughing during the prayer and despite my best efforts to scold myself into silence, a loud snort forces it's way out and I am laughing harder than before. I am a hard person to reckon with.
Today my very good friend in my graphic design class asked me to take her engagement pictures. I immediately had a picture in my head of me laughing during the entire photo shoot. Why would an engaged couple make me uncomfortable? Well, this cute couple includes two girls.
Realistically there is a dialogue with the couple you are taking pictures of. Think of that conversation in the context of two girls.
No matter how much I like this friend and believe that she has the right to choose her own life, a close-up of this relationship would make me uncomfortable. It is foreign to me. I would giggle.
Next in my day there is the revelation that my required figure drawing class will include mostly the drawing of naked people.
I just don't do naked.
I don't look at myself naked.
I began to panic about 2 weeks ago when I saw an older man on the second floor of the art building walking down the hall in a bathrobe. He had a white beard and a full head of white hair.
" Santa in a bathrobe" I said to myself and then chuckled about it silently.
When I saw Santa in a bathrobe enter one of the drawing rooms I began to run through the required classes I had just gone over with my academic advisor.
"Drawing I, Figure Drawing I- only!"
"Phew" I thought
" That is probably a Figure Drawing II class that has to draw Santa OUT of his bathrobe!"
I was wrong.
EW!
I know that some people believe that the human body is beautiful and that I should just calm down and think of it as art. I can't. There are so many many things that are available to draw that I would consider art. Naked is not art to me.
So, honestly , I will laugh. I will look like a 5th grader giggling in the corner. And because my drawing skills are so bad there will be consequences to my attempts to draw parts in proper scale.
That kind of insult to Santa could put me on his naughty list for years to come!

8 comments:
If only Santa had a bowl full of jelly it would have covered his candy cane and sleigh bells..I guess Christmas came early for you this year.
LOL - I will let you know when I have stopped giggling.
Couldn't do it... you are a better woman than me.
Thanks for the laugh! Now I've got this image stuck in my head....
That is so funny...about Santa
Haha. I am still laughing about this even after all our talks about it. Too funny. OH and its nice to know where I get the "I'm uncomfortable so i'm giggling like a twelve year old" from.
Oh. and the deleted comment was from me. I wrote my comment and then realized I was logged in as you. SOWWY!
Post a Comment