Last week I went shopping to fill a box to send to Rachel. I was intent on finding something that might make her feel loved. Everyone was here for Thanksgiving except her. I seriously considered buying her a Barbie. Let me explain.
We were living in Memphis in 1994. Rachel was eight. I was preparing to spend a week at girl's camp and my mother was watching my 3 little girls. The plan was to meet at a halfway point between Memphis and St. Louis, make the exchange and then head back home to pack. Just a few days before the planned meeting Rachel developed a very swollen and infected pore just under her nose. I tried putting heat on it and then tried to push out some of the infection. It was very painful. I was concerned about whether it was some sort of bite so I took her to the pediatrician to have it checked out.
The doctor was concerned about the infection as well. I told him about the upcoming plans for Rachel to be out of town with my mother. His remedy?
A shot.
Rachel has big beautiful eyes anyway, but her eyes got extra big when she heard that word...shot.
The doctor left the room and as soon as the door shut I turned to her quickly and told her if she was brave and stayed still I would take her to get a Barbie afterward. My hope was that the desire for the Barbie would suppress her desire to wiggle and scream.
It didn't.
In fact before that day I never knew how strong Rachel was physically and how loud she could scream. The nurse even left the room to get extra support to hold my little girl down. As soon as the shot was done she sprang right up and said,
" Can I still get a Barbie?"
We didn't get the Barbie.
So in an effort to make her feel better last week it did cross my mind to send her a Barbie, a token of comfort for her to be brave and be still and know that she is loved.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
We are the Frazier Family... We have a good life together with minimal fighting and lots of fun.
Family Favorites
* Shakespeare in the Park
* Sunday night game night with friends
* Oreo cookie mint chocolate chip ice-cream dessert
* College Basketball ( Duke Fans)
* Photography
* Lake of the Ozarks
* Singing to the radio- we are annoying to travel with
* Roller Coasters
* Wicked
*Rocking on the front porch
* Thunderstorms
* The Muny
* Hanging out with Pompa and Grandma Jo
* Coach Mike from the Manchester Swim team
* Blogging
* Church
* Kick ball and wiffle ball games at Queeny Park
*i-pods, i-tunes and everything apple (except the i phone)

3 comments:
I think it would have been a very sweet and hilariously funny thing to do.
Haha. I love this story. Now thats how Jenna acts when she has to get a shot....
Shots I was okay with what I didn't like was the wooden tongue suppressor being shoved down my throat. so I kicked the doctor between his legs. He never put that in my mouth again.
Post a Comment