Monday, February 15, 2010

Me and My Old Men


I began my birthday morning with several options in mind to celebrate. Jon had offered to send me to a spa all day but it just didn't make me feel celebratory to know I was a year older and then spend it getting, what could be considered, a repair job. I also thought I might suffer from flashbacks of the spray tan experience I had in December.

I knew that  I wanted to feel like I hadn't a single care all day. That was a gift in itself. With that in mind I began in one of my favorite stores, Pottery Barn, where I rarely buy anything but spend about $30,000 in my mind. I strolled and lingered through the store without a care. I looked at items I liked once and twice and would even return for a third look. I bought a candle and candlestick. The experience fit the criteria for my celebration... I hadn't a care.

Next stop was Barnes and Noble. I have heard of this "lounging in the store" experience and thought I might enjoy it. I began in the photography book section and pulled a large stack off the shelves, found a chair to plop myself down in and sat amongst the old men. There were a lot of older men and while we  sat and read and dreamed,  it was like the world went away. I read, took notes, put books back and began in a new section of the store. It was remarkably quiet, calm and soothing all afternoon. There was one minor disruption in the day. One of the old men began to snooze and snore a little, but I just found a new section, new books and a new group of old guys to sit around. I stayed in that peaceful and blissful place for close to three hours.

It was a fabulous day.
ahhhhhh.

3 comments:

*Rach* said...

Ah! I love it! Totally what I would do for my birthday...only I'd take the spa package as well!!!!!

Lynette said...

Sounds good, except I would have taken the spa day -- AND you were in the wrong store. I could spend that kind of time in a scrapbook store, and (dare I say it) sometimes even an office supply store! Call me crazy...you wouldn't be the first.

laradouglasphotography.blogspot.com said...

Ya I agree with Rach Spa too! Its prob not too late!!!!!:) Hope you had a great birthday, I think of you every day!

We are the Frazier Family... We have a good life together with minimal fighting and lots of fun.

Family Favorites

* Shakespeare in the Park

* Sunday night game night with friends

* Oreo cookie mint chocolate chip ice-cream dessert

* College Basketball ( Duke Fans)

* Photography

* Lake of the Ozarks

* Singing to the radio- we are annoying to travel with

* Roller Coasters

* Wicked

*Rocking on the front porch

* Thunderstorms

* The Muny

* Hanging out with Pompa and Grandma Jo

* Coach Mike from the Manchester Swim team

* Blogging

* Church

* Kick ball and wiffle ball games at Queeny Park

*i-pods, i-tunes and everything apple (except the i phone)


Pages