I really came into my basketball groove as a mom watching my kids play in their leagues. We then started playing family basketball games and it was there that I found that I feel very competitive. I scrap and scramble, jump and swat at loose balls and if all else fails, I threaten to "pants" anyone that gets ahead of me. We have so much fun together and we laugh a LOT!
All in all though, I can play pretty well for an old gal.
So today as I was getting beat, tho not badly, I asked the woman I was playing one-on-one with how old she was. She let me know she was 35. Hmmmmm... I was keeping up with her fairly well and knowing I was 11 years her senior I was feelin pretty good about my skills. I am so ridiculous.
When another woman let me know I wasn't moving like I was forty-six... truth or not? a compliment? I began feeling even better about myself. Flattery is just so bad for the soul. I began trying harder and it felt great to be pushing myself. I am just so ridiculous!
In my attempt to rebound a missed shot I jumped up to retrieve the loose ball and landed on the side of my foot and rolled over onto my ankle. OUCH! Walk it off...walk it off, I thought. I am tough!
Now as I reflect on the injury I wonder if it was worth it. It did feel so good to be moving and pushing myself again. I could say that it was the encouragement of friends that brought the best out in me. That sounds better than saying I was trying to prove something or show-off. What I do know is that instead of feeling young at the end of the day, I instead feel old as I hobble around the house and wish I had a cane, a walker, one of those motorized stair climbers....hospice or sumthin'.
Is there a lesson that I can learn from today's injury?
Yes, yes there is.
I need high-tops so I don't roll my ankle again and can continue my push to act and move younger than I really am.
Ridiculous.


4 comments:
ankle and knee surgery doesn't come from years of high school or college ball but yet one season of church ball.
"E" for effort! You played! My claim to fame in the exercise arena is walking around the track ONE time while Sam played soccer this week. WOO-HOO!
that's exactly what i was thinking - you need high tops.
amen to alma, the last time I played basketball was the first time in 7 years and it took place at the Chesterfield church gym when we were in the Chesterfield ward and....
I rolled my ankle too!
I personally think this is awesome and hilarious that a bunch of you girls are getting together just to play ball and exercise. This doesn't happen in other wards. You guys are soo cool!
Amie
Post a Comment