Sunday, May 2, 2010

Word Power

My sweet daughters, Rachel and Carly, sent me a package the other day. Inside there were various gifts and activities to interest me while I sat in bed and healed for the last 10 days. There were decadent york peppermint patties, an Alice in Wonderland coloring book with a new large box of crayons, (cause I still like to color ) and an electronic game...touchscreen scrabble. While the peppermint patties are gone...simply medicinal...and I have not yet colored in my jumbo activity/ coloring book,  I have taken out my scrabble game and played many rounds. I think I have been healed by the sheer annoyance of the game.

Here's why.

While I find that I am reasonably intelligent,  with a fairly good vocabulary, this mean, monster, cheating machine comes up with words I have never seen in the english language. My words are lovely and meaningful like LOVE and FAMILY and HOPSCOTCH. The computer's words are cold and frankly UNHEARD of, like XI and AE and UNH. What has been even more maddening is that these words that are being used, somehow just luckily land in a triple word space for 20+ points. While I pour over my tiles for many, many minutes looking for a word to use, the computer fills the weirdest spaces in a matter of seconds from his pile of unseen tiles. I bet he can see my tiles! Preposterous!!! (see that is a big vocabulary word right there)

If you are wondering, I am going mad, because now when I put my little cutesy word down, I am pretty sure I have heard a slight chuckle, with a bit of a snort,  coming from inside the blasted game!! 

Thanks girls for making the blood in me flow a lot faster.  It has been a blessing in disguise but as soon as I am able I am taking my mean, monster, cheating scrabble machine down by the river and pushing him over the edge into the blustering, boiling, bumpy, choppy, disordered, foaming, howling, inclement, moiling, riotous, roaring, ruffled, stirredup, storming, swirling, tremulous, tumultous, unstable, violent, turbulent waters below! 


I will have the last laugh, with a bit of snort, in the end.


1 comment:

*Rach* said...

I'm dying right now!

We are the Frazier Family... We have a good life together with minimal fighting and lots of fun.

Family Favorites

* Shakespeare in the Park

* Sunday night game night with friends

* Oreo cookie mint chocolate chip ice-cream dessert

* College Basketball ( Duke Fans)

* Photography

* Lake of the Ozarks

* Singing to the radio- we are annoying to travel with

* Roller Coasters

* Wicked

*Rocking on the front porch

* Thunderstorms

* The Muny

* Hanging out with Pompa and Grandma Jo

* Coach Mike from the Manchester Swim team

* Blogging

* Church

* Kick ball and wiffle ball games at Queeny Park

*i-pods, i-tunes and everything apple (except the i phone)


Pages