Friday, July 16, 2010

Fabulous Realities

When I was in college at Ricks...now known as BYU-I... I had a wonderful English professor. He inspired me and made me really think about the moments of every day. He called these moments the"fabulous realities" of life. For an assignment he challenged us to pay attention to the every day moments that could fall under this heading of fabulous realities. We wrote our findings down each day and read some to our classmates. He told us we had to write them down immediatley after we saw them in order to feel the feeling we did at the moment. The thoughts were fresh and could evoke feeling throughout time...a place to "come back to"- if you will. It forced me to keep my eyes open and to drink in all that was given to me on a daily basis. It became a habit and I loved what I saw in my simple day. My life was FABULOUS!

I have thought often of this concept since then and have sometimes remembered the lenses I developed so long ago. The lenses that blessed me to know that each day, with all it's pieces, was a gift.

While I have failed miserably to keep up with my blog and have really lost my chance to write things down while they are fresh, I do have a good memory still and can at-least list all that has been fabulous this summer.

6:30 swim practice for Shane and Cassie. It is hard to get up but I do love my mornings.

I went to Memphis alone to visit my sister while Cassie was at girl's camp, Jon was in Minnesota and Jenna was in Georgia. Shane stayed behind to work his first real job as a lifeguard.  Thanks to Pompa and Grandma taking over the taxi duties.

We have had visits from the Critchlows, the Nicklins, the Massiminis and the Nogeuiras and the Garretts. The Massiminis came through on their way to Pennsylvania, Nicklins came from Michigan and the Garretts came from Memphis to go to Six Flags.  The Nogeuiras came to go to the temple with their son, Francisco, for the first time before he leaves for his mission to North Carolina. While I have not seen  Rachel or Carly in months and probably won't this summer, I am grateful that they are working and surrounded by good friends.  I have loved being with my parents for the special occasions and the days where it is fun to stop by and visit. Jon travels a lot more these days with his job but I feel blessed to have a husband that leaves each day without complaint while he hears the plans of our day that are something about a museum or amusement park or water day.

My heart is full of gratitude for these fabulous realities. Their simplicity is what moves me each day and will carry me into eternity with gratitude for each piece of my life.

1 comment:

Tait said...

I can't wait to go back to TX..not just for the vacation of it, but because I know I will have those realities and moments where I can say I am glad I left and changed my life. Its always a constant reminder for me how much the Lord knows the true desires of my heart.

We are the Frazier Family... We have a good life together with minimal fighting and lots of fun.

Family Favorites

* Shakespeare in the Park

* Sunday night game night with friends

* Oreo cookie mint chocolate chip ice-cream dessert

* College Basketball ( Duke Fans)

* Photography

* Lake of the Ozarks

* Singing to the radio- we are annoying to travel with

* Roller Coasters

* Wicked

*Rocking on the front porch

* Thunderstorms

* The Muny

* Hanging out with Pompa and Grandma Jo

* Coach Mike from the Manchester Swim team

* Blogging

* Church

* Kick ball and wiffle ball games at Queeny Park

*i-pods, i-tunes and everything apple (except the i phone)


Pages