"And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and be baptized in my name, and become as a little child, or ye can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God."
I think this attitude of a little child might be important if it is how we can be with God again. So this has been the reason for this quest of mine.
Does it mean that I don't have to be the bill payer in the house anymore? I mean, who has ever seen a child pay bills before?
Does it mean that all my clothes and meals will be taken care of by someone else, cause that could be sweet!
or does it mean that I can eat anything I want to without gaining a pound...I didn't love that part enough in my childhood!
NONE of these are what I think is meant by becoming a little child. Darn. especially to #3...darn.
I have prayed to understand and I have searched where I am failing in this childish area; cause a young child's admirable qualities I believe are:
TRUST, LOYALTY, FORGIVENESS, LOVE, KINDNESS, PATIENCE, PURITY, DEVOTION etc...
I also believe a friend gave me another piece to what it means to be a child when she shared the scripture, " Be still and know that I am God."
So I have earnestly prayed to find these qualities in my life. I really believe that when I do work on this I will know better who I am every day and will become who I was meant to be in the eyes of my Heavenly Father.
As a child I sang myself to sleep almost every evening. I can remember lying in my bed singing primary songs or showtunes until I drifted off to sleep. I think Jon might wonder if I had lost my mind if I bust out one night to, " Climb Every Mountain" from The Sound of Music.
But strangely enough as I have sought to be as a little child more in my daily walk, my singing has resumed. I found myself singing a song from the old movie "Around the World in 80 Days" the other day. I haven't ever seen the movie because it was around long before I was born BUT I used to sing this song with my mom while she played the piano.
Around the world I’ve searched for you,
I traveled on when hope was gone to keep a rendezvous.
I traveled on when hope was gone to keep a rendezvous.
I knew somewhere, sometime, somehow,
you’d look at me and I would see the smile you’re smiling now.
you’d look at me and I would see the smile you’re smiling now.
It might have been in County Down,
or in New York, in Gay Paree, or even London Town.
or in New York, in Gay Paree, or even London Town.
No more will I go all around the world,
for I have found my world in you.
for I have found my world in you.
One afternoon as I sang it, Cassie looked at me puzzled and asked, " What song is that?!"
Now she sings it with me and even throws in some harmony. I feel close to her and we laugh as we sing it with some broadway emphasis.
I am singing in the shower and in the car, alone of course, and find that I am searching my memory for the words to
songs I sang as a young girl. For whatever reason I seem to feel so much happier when I sing and I do feel like I did
as a child.
Maybe it is the first piece in my search to find the sweetest and best parts that I will ever claim as "me."


1 comment:
WEll as long as you don't bust out a tune during prayer. One fine Sunday evening we knelt down for prayer at Ryan's parents house. During the prayer his sister busted out with 'LAAAAA" we stopped and looked up. A tune had come into her mind and right out her mouth. I am not sure if we finished the prayer or not.
Post a Comment