Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Walk with Me

A couple of weeks ago I was recounting all the happenings in my family to a friend. When there was a pause amongst the report of Jon's melanoma removal, his multiple knee surgeries, my photography travels and seminary studies,  Shane's mission papers and college admissions forms, Cassie's recent medical diagnosis, Rachel's car accident and Carly's job and Jenna's return home she said to me,

" You have a life like no one I know. It is absolutely crazy!"

I know this is true. It has been incredibly difficult (not busy but really hard) for the last several years!

Then she stated resolutely, even though it was a question she posed, 

"You know why it is so difficult " 

I didn't have time to respond.

"It's because you do that whole church- God thing" 

She is Catholic and I am Mormon.

I knew what she meant. 

Believing requires discipleship.  It means there will be hardships. As bleak as the view sounds our discussion kindled a feeling of determination from both of us...at all times, in all things and in all places.  I believe that how I respond to my challenges will be the sum total of who I am when I see Him again. I can't do anything ho hum. 

Discipleship is a journey. We need the refining lessons of the journey to craft our character and purify our hearts. By patiently walking in the path of discipleship, we demonstrate to ourselves the measure of our faith and our willingness to accept God’s will rather than ours.
I appreciated her insights and came away from the discussion with something I already knew. I was reminded that God chastens those that he loves and He loves me a lot. 

In contrast to this conversation, I recall a time where I had a quick conversation with a lady in the hall at my church. Her response to something I had said was something like, 

" Oh every one knows how perfect the Frazier family is."

I felt like she had kicked the wind out of me. My hardships, the tears on my pillow and life-altering struggles were completely overlooked. 


He trusts me with greater things.





Sadly, much of modern Christianity does not acknowledge that God makes any real demands on those who believe in Him, seeing Him rather as a butler “who meets their needs when summoned” or a therapist whose role is to help people “feel good about themselves.” It is a religious outlook that “makes no pretense at changing lives.” “By contrast,” as one author declares, “the God portrayed in both the Hebrew and Christian Scriptures asks, not just for commitment, but for our very lives. The God of the Bible traffics in life and death, not niceness, and calls for sacrificial love, not benign whatever-ism.”

1 comment:

Karrie said...

You are amazing, Rebecca! Your blog posts are so insightful and uplifting. And not to mention you are an amazing writer. I loved this.

We are the Frazier Family... We have a good life together with minimal fighting and lots of fun.

Family Favorites

* Shakespeare in the Park

* Sunday night game night with friends

* Oreo cookie mint chocolate chip ice-cream dessert

* College Basketball ( Duke Fans)

* Photography

* Lake of the Ozarks

* Singing to the radio- we are annoying to travel with

* Roller Coasters

* Wicked

*Rocking on the front porch

* Thunderstorms

* The Muny

* Hanging out with Pompa and Grandma Jo

* Coach Mike from the Manchester Swim team

* Blogging

* Church

* Kick ball and wiffle ball games at Queeny Park

*i-pods, i-tunes and everything apple (except the i phone)


Pages