
Whenever I notice a trait in my children, good or bad, I simply reply,
" You are mine".
Carly was mine from the start. When she was born Jon worked all day laying hardwood floors, then he came home for dinner and a nap, then he went off to school at Memphis State at 7:00 and then he would leave from school to go to work at Federal Express til around 4:00 a.m.. He would come home and sleep til 7:00 and then the routine started again. On the weekends he would sleep..a lot. This is why Carly loved me most when she was young. Dad was gone.
It could be that Carly and her Daddy just got off to a bad start. The minute the nurse nestled little Carly into her dad's open arms she peed all over him. It's a fun fact that Jon likes to tease her about.
Getting down to Carly...we are all blessed to have her love and friendship. She is a peaceful girl and tries the best she can to not have debate or difficulties with anyone. I used to say that when she walked in the door the joy and light swooshed in with her. Kind of like how the birds and butterflies surrounded Snow White wherever she went.
She once emptied her piggy bank to give all that she had saved to a girl at school who was physically handicapped. She had seen some kids teasing this girl in the cafeteria and had come home distraught at what she had seen. She and I talked and then she wrote down the words to the Primary song, " I'll Walk With You" on a pretty piece of paper. The next day with coins and song in hand she found her and gave these gifts to her. Someone must have noticed this kindness as Carly ended up reading to this girl the rest of the year as a special assignment. I would like to say that this behavior is one of my traits as well..so I could say she was "mine." The truth is, it is a gift from her Heavenly Father that has blessed her and others again and again.
Maybe, just maybe, I will learn from her so she can look at me with an approving smile and say,
"Mom, you are mine."

3 comments:
what a sweet jesture...Carly definitely has that ability to touch thelives of others in need...
Maybe one day Cali will display a better "She is Mine" trait than her pointing her finger and yelling Dorian go to your room Now!!!
why do you write this stuff that makes me cry! Sheesh!
That is the sweetest post. I like what you said about snow white. That is totally how Carly is! She just has the ability to make people feel loved and special. I'm so blessed to have met her! And yes, that stuff makes me cry too!
Post a Comment