
I have often thought of a quote by C.S. Lewis from his book "Mere Christianity". It comes to my mind when situations in my life aren't necessarily going well.
"Imagine yourself as a living house. God comes in to rebuild that house. At first, perhaps, you can understand what He is doing. He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof and so on: you knew that those jobs needed doing and so you are not surprised. But presently He starts knocking the house about in a way that hurts abominably and does not seem to make sense. What on earth is He up to? The explanation is that He is building quite a different house from the one you thought of- throwing out a new wing here, putting on an extra floor there, running up towers, making courtyards. You thought you were going to be made into a decent little cottage; but He is building a palace."
I understand that from hard things we can grow. It is during these times we become more humble and compassionate, more forgiving and teachable.
I get it.
Ty Pennington can do an extreme makeover on a house in one week. Seven days is all!
Didn't He create the world and all the creatures on it in that amount of time?
So I begin by asking God, " If I promise to learn quick, can we do this learning and growing thing on the extreme makeover time schedule?"
Problem is, He knows I am a slow learner.

1 comment:
K. This seriously cracked me up. I guess he knows I'm a slow learner too.
Post a Comment